Thursday, November 8, 2007

Work Week

Hello all, thought we'd explain a little of what an Antarctic work week is like. During the week I move science cargo for many of the science projects here at McMurdo. Everything from tents, food, snowmobiles, generators, construction equipment, science instruments, etc. makes it's way out to field sites around the continent. All the gear needs to be delivered to the right areas so that it can be loaded onto planes or helicopters and tracked in a cargo system. I also certify hazardous cargo that flies out of the station. I guess it's a glorified Fed Ex position in a way. I've attached a picture of what some of my day consists of. Deb works with handling all the waste the station produces. Over 90% of the waste is taken off continent and a good amount of it is recycled or resold back in the states. Deb can provide a more detailed explanation. We'll take some pictures of Deb's work place soon. Please ask any questions you may have on the blog and we'll try our best to answer them. Also if you want pictures or more info on anything just let us know!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Deb! We saw you on the Today show! Your goddaughter is missing you and asking for you to come take her to antafrica to see the penguins. Love that we can see pictures of your winter home. Please tell Matt and Jimmy we all say hi!
Stessi and family

Shannon Corrough said...

You guys were on the Today show? I always knew you were celebrities. I have been thinking a lot about you both recently. I miss you ...we all do. It looks like you guys are having fun and doing some interesting stuff down there. Things here in Colorado are pretty much the same. I have been traveling a lot recently. I went to Seattle a couple weekends ago and Shannon T. says hi. I am going to Vegas tommorow and i will be in California for two weeks this holiday season. I hope all is well, give us a shout out via email if you can. Take Care.

hugs and kisses

shannon c. aka. shanta claus...ho ho ho! !